I get an Error when I try to create the documents (Copy from blog)

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2006 at 10:29 PM
Robert said...
Hi,
I get an Error when I try to create the documents. Everything seems to be set up properly - at least I can see the dll's in the sandcastle window after refreshing the List. But when I click "create documents" it says:

"Cannot open the file ...\output\Test.hhc."

... is the ProcessToDir path.

Then it creates a broken .chm file, styles, scripts and art, but also no html files.

I also dont get it, why the name of the .hhc file should be "Test" - could it be a wrong sandcastle configuration pointing to the Example file (test.cs)? Couldn't figure it out until now.

Any Ideas?
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2006 at 10:30 PM
Frank Kroondijk said...
the Settings.xml file contains field:
SandCastleConfigFile C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\personal\/SandCastleConfigFile
this folder should contain the sandcastel.config delivered in the project (folder "configurationfiles")
If that doesnt help, make sure rest of the xml settings are correctly set according to your local system.
Pls let me know if it did the trick
Frank
Aug 10, 2006 at 11:13 PM
Hi,
thanks for your quick answer, but that didn't help much. I did that before (tried the original Sandcastle config file and yours).

Maybe it will help, if you look over it?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Settings>

<!CDATA[Used for helpfile generation]>
<ProcessToDir>C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Utility\WindowsLog\Doc\</ProcessToDir>
<SandCastlePath>C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\</SandCastlePath>
<SandCastleConfigFile>C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\personal\</SandCastleConfigFile>
<HTMLWorkshopPath>C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\</HTMLWorkshopPath>
<Copyright>Redmond Integrators</Copyright>
<AlsoCreateHTMLDoc>true</AlsoCreateHTMLDoc>

<!CDATA[ftp settings]>
<UploadAfterGenerating>false</UploadAfterGenerating>
<FTP>
<RemoteHost></RemoteHost>
<RemotePort>21</RemotePort>
<RemotePath></RemotePath>
<RemoteUser></RemoteUser>
<RemotePass></RemotePass>
</FTP>

<!CDATA[Values will filled in automatically, but if you whant to use batch xml, you could use them]>

<!CDATA[string added to helpfilename a la: mydll_Documentation.chm]>
<HelpFileNameAdd>_Documentation</HelpFileNameAdd>
<HelpFileName>_Documentation</HelpFileName>
<DLLName>DLLName</DLLName>
<XMLName>XMLName</XMLName>
<ProcessDLLFromDir>DLLDir</ProcessDLLFromDir>
<ProcessXMLFromDir>XMLDir</ProcessXMLFromDir>

<!CDATA[Used for Classdiagram export, diagrams labelt with "Namespace: mynamespace.subnamespace" are exported to given directory and renamed with namespace path]>
<ClassdiagramExportFolder></ClassdiagramExportFolder>

</Settings>

I am running on a 2003 Server, could that be a problem?
I also have that annoying little problem, that the toolbar buttons disappeared once and never appeared automatically again. I always have to add them manually. But thats not the real Prob.

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:03 AM
At the moment, when the error is thrown, there are already some files created in the "output" directory:

sandcastle.config, help_proj.hhp, comments.xml, Test.chm and some folders for the html files. But there are no files inside the \html folder.

I tried to manually run the Sandcastle Example like described here: https://blogs.msdn.com/sandcastle/archive/2006/07/29/682398.aspx and that worked fine.

I dont know if this is helpful...
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2006 at 12:04 AM
After a quick look I couldnt figure out what step went wrong. Ill will take a closer look at it later on. If you need an answer right away, just set some breakpoints in the class:

OvernightPowerAddIns.Classes.Common.GenerateHelp

ill guess you got the prob in a sec that way.

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2006 at 12:06 AM
forgot to mention:

foreach(ShellCommand myCommand in lCommands) itterates through the commands
Aug 11, 2006 at 12:35 AM
Great Idea ^^

I tries to debug the Project, but there was no Exception. Everything works fine now.
It seems as if all I had to do was to compile it once. Since I added the new .dll to the "Addins" Directory there are no Problems anymore.

Nice Tool ;)
And thank you for your help!
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2006 at 7:23 AM
Good to hear it works fine now...
Aug 31, 2006 at 11:55 AM
I am having exactly the same issue and on trying other GUI Implementations suggested the same issue is occuring.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated?
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2006 at 8:45 PM
I guess you are using the august CTP, the used script in the project must be updated for that. Hoop to have some time uncomming weekend to fix that.